Monday 23 March 2015

Does It Always Have to be Game, Set and Match

Maybe it is my age and losing my grandmother 18 months ago, but recently I have noticed some nostalgia creeping in at the oddest times.

One area is plates. Yes plates. When I was growing up other than the dinner set you have for best (hatches, matches, dispatches and Christmas outings only), every day crockery was a mismatch. You didn't run to Dunelms or Denby, George at Home or Habitat to get matching sets of everything unless you had money to burn. Plates often came through generations of a family. I remember setting the tea table at Gran's and every plate was different and everyone had their chosen or favourite plate.

Fast forward a couple of decades and every piece of crockery in my kitchen matches and every piece is cream. It's all very....samey.

And so, when last in Dunelm looking at the matching sets I picked a plate from here and a plate from there. And if I am in an Antique Shop or Second Hand Shop and see a single lonesome plate on its own I may adopt it too.

The upshot? This last week I have enjoyed mealtimes so much more and not because of the food! 


No comments:

Post a Comment